Skip to main content

640: Hepworth | Pullman

20200415_101607The brewery: “Andy Hepworth started brewing in Reading almost directly after University. He moved to Horsham in 1980 and within five years became the youngest Head Brewer in the country, winning many awards.The long-standing tradition of brewing in Horsham came to an abrupt halt in 2000 with the sale of its last brewery and so Andy, determined to maintain that tradition, joined up with the key members of the brewing team in order to create Hepworths, an independent brewery aiming to build its own range of quality brands, while maintaining flexibility for contract work.”

The beer: “Pullman is a First Class Best Bitter from first class brewers. Using our traditional brewing expertise along with finest Sussex grown malt and Admiral and Golding hops, Pullman delivers a first class fresh crisp bite, long on flavour with a silky finish.”

The first new beer to be added to the Archive during ‘lockdown’. The ale shelves were empty at my local shop the weekend before lockdown was announced and I made a decision to try and source local beers - i.e. from Sussex - to enjoy at home.

I stuck to the larger breweries, not least because, ordering in quantity I knew what I’d be getting, so much of what I ordered I’d sampled before, however that brought with it the chance to try some of their other brews too.

Very crisp this one, a very strong bitter flavour but not too hoppy at all. More full bodied than it’s stable mate ‘Sussex’ and would be my choice out of the two.

April 2020. Related entries